Tealtown History
Organized baseball activities here at Mt. Carmel are as old as Knothole baseball in the Greater Cincinnati area itself.  In 1933, the year Knothole was organized in Cincinnati, Mt. Carmel formed the first Knothole baseball team in Clermont County (Class A).  Only 10 boys could be found in the area (for the proper age group) that had the desire to play and the willingness to endure the problems of playing in this newly created organization called Knothole.

Members of the first team were Bob Parsons, Lester Jones, Jack Andres, Len Jones, Justin Townsley, Howard Roby, Bob Walters, Earl Parsons, Harry Didday, and Mel Hoderlien.  The team was managed by Jed Didday.  Jack Andres, Harry Didday and Len Jones later played semi-pro ball and Mel Hoderlien, upon graduation from High School, played pro ball with Boston, 
Washington, Chicago, and Detroit. Most of these men have been active as adults in the present organization.

The problems of the early years were many.  All games were played in Cincinnati and this necessitated difficult travel arrangements.  The boys had to purchase all of their own equipment and were regarded by their city cousins as “country bumkins”.  In spite of all this, they were able to place in the Cincinnati Semi-Final Playoffs.

Henry Andres helped to keep the organization alive and active with the help of the other men and new players until World War II when the program was dropped during the war years.

In 1946, Richard Cahail organized the next Knothole team in Mt. Carmel.  He, Stanley Anstaett and others formed the Clermont County Knothole Organization that year.  There were 14 teams in the county.  This was an important year for Mt. Carmel because it finally had a permanent field on which to play. It was built by the Mt. Carmel Social Club and is still in use today.

During the next 10 years Mt. Carmel enjoyed the success in county and national tournaments as the many championship trophies indicate.  The population began to grow and so did the need for more teams.  During that same time, Classes B and C were added to the program and with the added teams came added expenses.  With the help of local businessmen and other supporters, funds were made available and baseball grew.

In the mid 50's until present time the well-known population explosion came and it was no longer a case of having enough boys to play baseball, but rather, did we have enough baseball for the boys?

In 1956, the Mt. Carmel - Glen Este Boosters Club was formed.  There were seven men present at the first meeting: Lenord Jones, elected President; Bob Ellison, elected Vice President; Mel Strobel, elected Secretary Treasurer; Ervin Ackman, Gene Heming, Hortis Smith, and Fred Ruhue.  A membership drive was made and just about every parent who had a boy signed up. With all of these young fellows it was decided to institute a community system of organized and controlled baseball, for all the boys with a desire to participate in the sport.  Under this program the teams would not travel but play other teams of their same age group within the community.  Mel HoderLien and Dave Hardy supervised the program and it worked out exactly as planned.  Every boy who wanted to play ball played, and by this time two more fields were built.  The community leagues at this time were classes D and C. In 1957, Class D Knothole was organized and this rounded out the full complement of Knothole Teams.  This program existed in this form through 1961.

In 1962, Class B Community League, two girls’ softball teams and three more ball fields were added. There were about 360 boys and girls active that year.  This was a good year for the boys and girls.  The boys won three county championships, two of these teams went to the National Knothole Semi-finals and one played in the National Championship game.

The community of Mt. Carmel - Glen Este is proud to have had so many champs since 1946.  It is proud of the progress that has been made during the last 30 years. Only 10 boys played ball in 1933 and in 1963 they anticipated 450 boys and girls were active in baseball and softball.

A thank you is extended to Harry A. Didday, Jack Andres, Richard Cahall, and Leonard Jones without whose help this history could not have been written. 
 
RECENT HISTORY
1993 Old Mt. Carmel Fields on Aicholtz road succumbed to modern progress. All twenty acres were sold and replaced with a strip mall.

The Board of Directors of the Mt. Carmel - Glen Este Boosters purchase a 48 acre tract of land on Tealtown Road approximately 3 miles from the old Mt. Carmel Fields.  The money from the sale of the old ball fields was used to build 18 ball diamonds of varying sizes; paved parking for 500 cars; two concession stands; meeting hall to seat 250; four fields with lights; a training room; and 8 indoor heated batting cages for both baseball and softball.

1996 - Tealtown Ballpark (formerly "Aicholtz Fields) hosts the N.S. A. Ohio State Slow Pitch Softball Tournament.  Several C.A.B.A. Baseball State Tournaments and The Dizzy Dean World Series Qualifier.

2001 -Bob Couch is named the C.A.B.A. 13-U Quality Age Division National Director.  Tealtown Ballpark Hosts the 1st C.A.B.A. 13U Quality World Series.  Forty-four teams from across the 
United States and Canada converged on Tealtown making the tournament the largest of ALL 21 C.A.B.A. World Series held in 2001.  Tealtown is awarded the Tournament of Excellence from C.A.B.A.  Tealtown also hosted the 1st Cincinnati Knothole Division One Championships.

2003 Continental Amateur Baseball Association awards Tealtown BallparkWorld Series of the Year.  For the third year in a row, Tealtown Ballpark hosts the largest C.A.B.A. World Series with 42 teams from across the country.